09 August 2007

"What I Wish For My Girls"

Every father wants the best for his children. I have two lovely daughters, and I love them dearly. Here are some things that I wish for them:

I wish them to be friendless -- If friendship with the world leads to the loss of their soul (1 Corinthians 15:33). Godly, moral friends are a wonderful thing, but the wrong friends will pull one to their side in the pursuit of sin (Proverbs 1:10-16).

I wish for them to be poor -- If they cannot resist the love of money, and it leads them to sin (1 Timothy 6:10). There is nothing inherently wrong with money, and financial security from a well managed life is a good thing, but wealth for wealth's sake can foster materialism. My daughters can go to heaven if they are poor, but they will be lost if they love the world and the things in the world (1 John 2:15-16).

I wish for them to be unfashionable -- If to be fashionable means that they have to dress like the world (1 Timothy 2:9-10; 1 Peter 3:3-4). There is nothing so beautiful as a modestly dressed girl who displays a gentle and quiet spirit by the clothing she wears. And there is nothing so repulsive as a gaudy girl who chooses the attire of a harlot (Proverbs 7:10).

I wish for them a single life -- If they think it is necessary to marry a man who will lead them away from the Lord. I pray that my girls will find and marry godly men who want to love them as Christ loved the church, and who wants to be the head of the house, leading my daughters and their children to the Lord (Ephesians 5:22-29; Ephesians 6:4). But I would rather them live a single life than to choose a hateful, unfaithful, undisciplined, man who will not lead the home.

My list may seem strange, but it is not. What I want is for my daughters to have good friends, to be secure, to be pretty, and to be married. But, I want them to go to heaven more, so I want them to have all of these things in accordance with God's rules.

(Found on the internet)
(Illustration of Clemens and his daughters by F. Luis Mora from SUNDAY MAGAZINE, Nov. 17, 1907, found at TwainQuotes)

2 comments:

Diana Dow said...

I came across your blog and am thoroughly enjoying the music. I teach private violin lessons and just finished for the day. What a nice ending to listen to some absolutely gorgeous music.

I just read the post about What I Want For My Daughters on Pleonast today. Are you on there?

www.thedowsschoolroom.com

Unknown said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS BLOG!!!