17 September 2007

Tell Me 'Bout the Good Old Days



Blast from the past today. I can still see the 1988 Friends group singing this one. Some dear heart had written today about the good old days, and this song came to my head, though I haven't heard it for years. I never saw this video (gotta love the 80's hair).

Made me all nostalgic.

by the Judds:

Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days
Sometimes it feels like this world's gone crazy
Grandpa, take me back to yesterday
When the line between right and wrong
Didn't seem so hazy

Did lovers really fall in love to stay
And stand beside each other, come what may
Was a promise really something people kept
Not just something they would say
Did families really bow their heads to pray
Did daddies really never go away
Oh, grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days

Grandpa, everything is changing fast
We call it progress, but I just don't know
And Grandpa, let's wander back into the past
And paint me the picture of long ago

Did lovers really fall in love to stay
And stand beside each other come what may
Was a promise really something people kept
Not just something they would say and then forget
Did families really bow their heads to pray
Did daddies really never go away
Oh, Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days
Oh, Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days

2 comments:

eleventh hour said...

Gosh, wouldn't it be great if we could turn back the clock to a time when hearts were pure? Unfortunately, that time has never been. While I am happy to live apart from the culture that is so ungodly, I am looking forward to the day when Christ returns with Justice and purity and wholeness for this world.

Michelle Maddocks said...

That's a good point, and there's even a verse for it: "Say not, "Why were the former days better than these?" For it is not from wisdom that you ask this. - Ecclesiastes 7:10

Yet there's also a verse (and the idea repeated continually) that says that we should remember what has happened before: "Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations; ask your father, and he will show you, your elders, and they will tell you. - Deuteronomy 32:7 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Romans 15:4

The Day to come will be infinitely better, that is sure. And to dwell on the old days is not wise. But to learn from our elders in the faith is truly wise. As much as we may feel that they have failed us and not held to their duties, we were also not listening those times that they may have tried to teach us the things that they did know.