07 February 2008

Think about what you want to be


"It's so easy to be wicked without knowing it, isn't it?" - Anne
- L. M. Montgomery, "Anne of Green Gables," 1908

(Photo from the successful CBC -television adaptation of Anne of Green Gables)


What do you think?

“Forgive my hidden faults.
Keep your servant also from willful sins.”
Psalm 19:12-13


An Evening Prayer

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I myself shall suffer through the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have been perverse or hard, or cold,
If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold,
When Thou hast given me some fort to hold,
Dear Lord, forgive!

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me and my keeper be,
Dear Lord, Amen.

- C. Maude Bat­ters­by, ar­ranged by Charles H. Ga­bri­el, cir­ca 1911


May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.


Video of that great "old fashioned lady," Mahalia Jackson, singing a short version of "An Evening Prayer"

~~~~~~~

It has been said, "People do not plan to fail; they simply fail to plan." Ladies, you do not fail to be a lady because you cannot become one, but because you do not have in place a good plan to being a lady. Think about what you want to be. Surround yourself with ladies and gentlemen, so that you can observe their example. Read about them and from them. Realize and notice when you mis-step, but do not give up and remain there in the mud. Be as good as young, fictional Anne of Green Gables, and "never do the same wrong thing twice." Correct your course, and step out again on the path that you plan to travel. Walk with grace and mercy, always vigilant, always a Lady. - LM

No comments: